I am currently planning the next releases of the TYPO3 extensions “news” and looking for sponsors! If you are using this extension, please read on!
The version 3.1.0 has been released on 2015-02-12 during the T3BOARD15 and is the first version supporting TYPO3 CMS 7 and of course 6.2 LTS.
The current status is quite ok but many things can and should be improved!
A lot of things should be changed in the upcoming versions to make the users and editors even happier.
A proper documentation is crucial for any software project! The current documentation must be improved in numerous ways:
- Update to state of the art REst syntax
- Document all available features & settings
- Describe best practices
2) Best practice code base
The following major things need to be rewritten:
- Namespaces: Currently the extension is not yet based on namespaces. This feels nowadays really weird.
- Remove Classloader hack: To be able to let others extend EXT:news, an ugly way has been introduced which needs to be rewritten from scratch.
3) Improved usability for editors
The editors are very important for the CMS and its extensions. Improving the user experience is therefore also one goal of TYPO3 CMS 7 LTS. The user experience can also be improved for EXT:news:
- Usage of the Context Sensitive Help (CSH) in every appropriate situation.
- Improve the Administration module
- Improve the rendering of the plugin in the page module
4) Demo page
During the T3BOARD15 Josef Florian Glatz and me came up with idea of a demo site showing not only the default features of EXT:news but also the usage of all snippets and examples which can be found in the documentation.
I really need you!
As you can imagine, this is a ton of work! I try to put every love and time into this extension.
If you are using this extension already and it saves you time, makes you and your customers happy, it would be awesome if you could support the next steps!
If you don’t use the extension yet, take some minutes, look into the manual and just try it!
How can you help?
There are multiple ways how you can help:
- Patches for code or documentation
- Send your best practice snippets
- Send me your ideas
- Money (yes of course that helps as well)
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me by mail or any other channel!
Thanks for reading!